Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Tech Support (?)

Welcome to the new year....and all that happy garbage. As you can tell, my year hasn't exactly started off with an explosion of happiness. My year has started off with a verbal wrestling match with my old dreaded nemesis tech support. Two days ago, upon the recommendation of that nagging HP one care pop up, I updated my computer BIOS...and completely lost everything. The computer went into BootBlock and refused my every request. Alright, no more playing....I got the toolkit out. For those of you who don't know, I'm a Network Student and have worked with this sort of problem before. The only thing lacking would be the ROM files and I should be able to get those from the Internet.....should.

After two days of fruitless searching, I came to the realization that the motherboard in my computer was an OEM from HP and that I would need to get the files from them directly. After waiting in online chat for what seemed to be an eternity...I was connected to "Randall" K. I can only assume that the K stood for an unpronounceable Chinese letter...but I muddled through the initial contact anyway. After pulling my hair completely out..."Randall" finally understood my request....and promptly denied it. Apparently emailing me a 75k file needed to fix my computer would cause the end of the universe in the eyes of the HP godz. Instead I will be sent and empty box in about four days to ship my computer back to...I don't know....Abu Dhabi maybe....for them to load a 75k file that I could've done here...and been a much happier person for it.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

1 comments:

Zee said...

HEY YOU! I had NO idea what you were saying there - tech stuff - but happy to see you all the same :) Welcome on board. :D